Saturday, March 13, 2010

A 2 Year Vacation In The Zone

Our family moved from Shaker Hts., OH to Chevy Chase, MD in-between my 7th and 8th grade year. We knew we were only moving for 2 years, as my Dad was hired temporarily as Chief Tax Council of the Senate Finance Committee.

Realizing that whatever happened during my time in Chevy Chase, it would never really matter because in 2 years I'd probably never see these new people again, I felt the freedom of not caring. Where I had been feeling the overwhelming weight of the purpose, the meaning of life, now suddenly it seemed I had a 2 year vacation...from myself.

Thus when I entered eighth grade at Leland Jr. High School, I decided to join in completely, not hold back, as there was nothing to lose (and nothing to gain), as here there was no future. My Mom suggested I join a school activity to meet people, so I decided to try out for the girl's basketball team. I had never seen a game played before, but I had always loved to shoot baskets in my driveway, so I thought I'd have a chance of making the team.

The night before tryouts, I remember my conversation with God. I lay in my bed, looking up at the ceiling and told God how much I wanted to meet new people, and this seemed like a good way. I prayed for God to help me get on the team and then I wouldn't ask for help any more, the rest was up to me. I talked for quite some time, and The Presence was alive as I can even now remember the feeling of that conversation pouring from the depths of my soul.

I don't remember the tryouts except for one thing. We had to stand at the foul line and shoot 10 balls. I began to shoot, and as I did, I went into the "zone "(though I didn't have that word for it at the time). Without effort or thought, I just shot one after another, and ended up making 8 out 10 foul shots. It was so natural at the time, and only later upon reflection, did I note that I had been in a different state than I normally was when shooting baskets. For me, this was answered prayer and I was so grateful.

As it turned out, my entire 2 years in Chevy Chase felt like it was in the "zone". I definitely was in a different state than the way I normally lived life. I made wonderful friends, I participated in sports and activities fully, played with my family, just had a plain good time for the entire 2 years

It was as if I was being given a gift of what life could look like if I just let go a little bit. I was living as Krishna advised Arjuna to live in the Bhagavad-Gita (a Hindu scripture), he was to give himself fully to the role in life he was given to play, and live it without attachment or resistance. In other words, "let go and let God". This is how I lived, active, alive, participating, fully focused and yet relaxed, without fearing or attaching to anything too much...the same recipe for going into the zone while playing sports actually...and it was total joy. It didn't have to do with perfection, or winning, or being the best, or having all the answers to life's mysteries, it simply required living fully and freely in each and every moment...well simple, but usually not very easy.

Feeling the Presence so powerfully that night I prayed to make the basketball team, I realize the prayer was answered far beyond what I humanly intended. Knock and the door shall be opened, and for that Grace, I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment